Friday 25 January 2013

The Wedge Sneaker Conundrum



The Wedge Sneaker, I don't know what to make of it... I absolutely love the concept! I'm super short, so whatever makes me taller, I love it! But sometimes I see someone wearing a wedged sneaker and I think OMG if a guy sees you walking and doesn't realise you have a concealed wedge in your shoe he's gonna think: "Mmm, she walks a bit weird, maybe something is wrong with her feet..." And besides the men I talked about these shoes with all thought they were NOT sexy.

So, do I love ´m or not... I´m gonna give it a proper think!




I first came across the wedge sneaker when I was travelling in Asia a few years back. These differed from the ones we now have in the West in that the wedges were totally concealed. They were just meant to make you look taller, not to make a fashion statement, a bit like the ones you can see below.

 As a short girl I loved the idea! I was trilled when the trend started to trickle through into Europe. I thought the Isabel Marant Sneaker (see below) was OK, although I thought the wedge is a bit to high to be concealed, as in it starts to make you walk odd.



But then more and more rip-offs came and the designs became worse and worse! The wedge became ever more smaller at the bottom which quite defeats the purpose of it being concealed, right? It just looks stupid! Furthermore, the wedges became even higher. This gives odd shoes, odder-looking feet and an even odder gait! Look at the heel of the shoe below it has such a weird shape. So here the concept is still brilliant, but execution is stupid.



When you do like a tall slim wedge, why not go all the way and take one that has an wedge that is not concealed, but does not stand out either, like these below from Chloe. This way you're still on trend, but without odd looking feet. And guys will understand why you walk the way you do :)


As to my conundrum. After writing this piece I think I made up my mind. I like the Asian way the best, so I'd go for a complete concealed wedge, with the Isabel Marant also being an acceptable option. Picture 3 is simply stupid and the Chloe one is just not really my thing.

So, I think I'm gonna same up money for a trip to Asia to buy truly concealed ones or save a little less money and buy the Isabel Marant ones... Since, I don't think this trend will be around for long and I love travelling, it is decided. I love the Asians ones the best ;)

2 comments:

  1. On other people I think they look wonderful, I've seen them on so many people and they rock them amazingly.
    I'm not sure I love them enough to style them well though
    xx

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my similar Fashion post on Hidden Heel high tops on my blog called All things Bright and Fashionable

    http://allthingsbrightandfashionable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/hidden-heel-high-tops-for-all-shorties.html

    Katherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete