Thursday 28 February 2013

Taking Better Care of my Fine Hair: Less washing!



Ok let's explain the situation first. My hairdresser once described my hair as 'baby hair'. Which sort of paints the picture. My hair is super fine and straight, so no volume at all. My hair is oily, but my scalp is dry and itchy. So, not a great combination :)




I used to wash my hair every day with a volume shampoo and absolutely no conditioner to keep as much volume in there as I could, but since my hair is so fine and my scalp so sensitive, this started to cause problems. I started noticing that the condition of my hair got worse and worse (major split ends and it went a lot blonder because of all the damage!) and my scalp got a bit flaky and super itchy. So, things had to change!

My resolutions were:
- Find a good shampoo & conditioner.
- Use the conditioner.

- Wash my hair less.


My hair always got super oily after only a day and a second day after washing it had to be pulled back in a ponytail and a headband, cause it looked so gross! And when I used conditioner it went flat right after washing, so neither seemed a possible option, but something needed to change, so I decided to give it a go.


Step 1: Find a good shampoo and conditioner.

I found that volume shampoos were damaging my hair so I trough those out. My hairdresser advised me a daily shampoo that takes away grease and oil really well without being harsh on the scalp. It's by the brand  Fudge and is called Daily Mint. I also purchased the conditioner that goes with it. Both cost 15€ per 300ml bottle. They smell super fresh and especially the conditioner has a super fine, soft texture. You only have to use a little bit, the size of an almond to the size of a grape, depending on how long and full your hair is. The shampoo does not foam at all, which I really had to get used to. In the beginning I felt like I couldn't spread it out properly, but a clean head of hair afterwards every time showed that was not the case. I'm still using the first bottle of both the shampoo and the conditioner, but when I have finished them I will definitely repurchase.



Step 2: Learn to use a conditioner properly.

My hair dresser also told me I wasn't using the conditioners the way one should. I used to put them throughout my hair, but she advised me just to use it on the lengths of my hair, which is roughly from the ear down. And after rinsing once more on the tips to treat and prevent split ends.


Step 3: Actually wash my hair less often.

This was the biggest and most awful part! First I only washed my hair once a week for 6 weeks. This was a nightmare. I felt disgusting, smelly and ugly! I put my hair in a ponytail every day and used a headband and bobby pins to keep fatty strains of hair from hanging loose and showing the world how gross my hair was. I did allow myself to use baby powder in the lengths of my hair to keep as fresh as possible.
After 6 weeks I noticed my hair got less greasy and I started a routine wherein I washed my hair twice a week. To my surprise my hair stayed fresh for two to three days without using baby powder and there was no need for a ponytail or headbands. Furthermore, I had no itchy scalp problems anymore!
After a few more weeks I started noticing that my hair was getting stronger and a little bit more voluminous. I'm definitely keeping up this routine. Because I train twice a week it's not really an option to wash my hair only once a week, but I might give that another go when I'm in between sports seasons.

I've still got baby hair, but this routine has made it so much more manageable and it's in way better condition. I would definitely advise other girls to wash their hair less often! It's quite a hassle, but really it's worth it after 6 weeks!!!

BTW! Read here about the Hairdressers' etiquette and you'll never be disappointed after a haircut again!

Hope you guys liked this post!


Love Xoxo

Marina


Ps. Here a video by DannielleinDepth who also is washing her hair less. She goes into the styling part too, which isn't my forte.


Source of the top image: http://petshopboxstudio.com/blog/tutorial/basic-manga-hair-tutorial/

1 comment:

  1. Great tips on the products.
    Haley www.instyleforless.org

    ReplyDelete